The Best Garlic Bread
Updated: Feb 26, 2018
I am a firm believer that bread should be used as a vehicle for everything. So straight up, this recipe is a no BS side that I make all the time. And guess what? People love it.
I'm a fan of a little crunch to my garlic bread, but no matter how long you put it in the over for, the flavors are spot on. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The trick is to broil the bread so it gets crispy on the outside, but remains soft and chewy on the inside. I would also call it blasphemy to use anything other than sourdough bread for this recipe, but you can adapt as needed. This side goes excellent with anything, but my favorite pairings are pasta (extra saucy because duh), soups, and steak.
The ingredients may vary based on your preferences, so I've given you some mix-and-match options below to play with your palette.
Check out a spaghetti squash recipe for an entree that rocks with this garlic bread.
Simple and Delicious Garlic Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes
1 loaf fresh sourdough bread (sliced or unsliced)
4-6 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
a pinch of Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to broil on high (or turn broiler to 400 degrees)
- Move oven rack to top/middle (not too high, but above the middle)
- Slice sourdough loaf in half longwise, or place sourdough slices on a baking sheet
- In a microwave safe mug, add rosemary, butter, and garlic *Make sure rosemary is not on top of mixture, as it may burn
- Place in microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring mixture every 15 second
- When butter has completely melted, stir and generously spoon the mixture to cover the top of the sourdough bread, spreading evenly with the bottom of the spoon
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt
- Place bread in the oven (on a sheet pan for garlic toasts, or directly on the rack for full loaf)
- Check every 3 minutes, and remove from oven when bread has achieve your desired crispiness (8-10 minutes is my ideal)
*Watch it closely as it may
- Let cool for 5 minutes, slice (if needed), and serve